22.11.02

i have a job (at least for the moment). i get to put my construction experience to good use as i get behind the wheel of a paintbrush and putty knife (all in one day!). i was supposed to start at seven thirty this morning. nancy (i have a feeling that this is a lesbian contractor. more on that later) told me to call when i was ten minutes away from the jobsite. as it happens, i live less than ten minutes away from the jobsite. i stopped into the apartment, wearing my shitty jeans and work boots and ready to go attitude, and i made the call. it seems nancy was "working" late into the night and was barely awake (blogauthor's note - as i do not know nancy from more than a phone call, my quotation marks around working represent only my cynicism, not actual knowledge of her drinking habits). she told me to hang out at the house, and she would call me around ten (there goes my nine hours today). so here i am, still rarin' to go, tying up the phone line at 8:40.

back to the lesbian contractor comment. the area i live in, soulard, and the area i used to work in, lafayette square, have a much higher than st louis average population of gay and lesbian couples. from my experiences serving them as customers, as well as personal friends, i have learned that i get along very well with lesbians. almost ridiculously well. perhaps this is because i'm a non-threatening guy. i emphasize guy because i see it as very different from man or male. i hope all this translates into a good working relationship, as i would then have a fallback position shoudl i decide to take another job. one of the beauties of construction type work is that there is nearly always work for those who don't apply drunk.

tightening my laces and rolling my cigarettes up in my sleeve...

No comments: